Sunday, April 17, 2011

Storytelling

So I had an interesting couple of days. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount of activity the past week and a bit and I felt mentally and physically exhausted. But I was bored. So instead of spending the evening watching Batman, I decided to get off my butt and actually do something for the evening and went out to one of the events on Facebook. My friend was surprised I showed up, seeing as I told him the day before I wouldn't be, but was pleased none the less. It was a small group, around ten young adults and a senior. We played a couple of board games, but mostly we just talked.

One of the things we talked about was story telling and me being a writer talked about some of the stories I know. As it happened, the service the next day was on the subject of story telling and its importance in theology in Unitarianism. And the speaker was actually at the table with us. And when I said I knew a couple of stories, she invited me to tell a story. At first I was hesitant. I love telling stories, especially in front of a large group. But it had been so long and the group would be entirely new to me. So I said I would think about it. I more like obsessed over it the rest of the evening and the next morning. And so, having woken up with ample time to eat, bathe and obsess some more, I decided to go. And, sure enough, she invited me again. And after a moment's hesitation, I accepted.

I was nervous as hell, but I discovered that the hardest part of story telling is starting. Once you start, you can keep on going on and on and on. Coming up with what I wanted to say was easy. I introduced myself as a writer and a story teller and I said a few words about how storytelling was important to me. How it could be used as a learning tool as well as a way to explain this world. But I skipped the most important reason why I love storytelling. I love story telling because I love to tell stories. I'm pretty good at it, if I'm in the right mood. And so I began my story. I got a few laughs as I told the Just So story of how Camel got his hump. And I got applause from the audience. George Burns is right. There is no greater feeling in the world than the sounds of laughter and applause.

I spoke with many lovely people after the service, who all told me I performed so well, and asked me if I was a member of a storytelling or story writing guild. Now there's a good ideas. I've been doing about twenty minutes of research and come across nothing. I missed the story telling festival in Toronto completely. So it goes. But I will keep looking, it sounds like an organization I would like to join.

In the mean time, I feel more and more that I have found my place in writing and story telling and I will continue to pursue this life.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
20110417

No comments:

Post a Comment