Monday, March 28, 2011

Promises and Results

My friend Lezley gave me some advice about how to handle this blog and writing in general. Don't make promises, just give results. Or something like that. She probably remembers the exact wording better than I. And as a result, I haven't been making to many lofty promises except to one person, myself. And while I do believe in this mantra of sorts, there are a few promises that I've made that have helped me to get back on the horse recently.

It always surprises me when complete strangers like my work. I've been showing off my work for a while now, but mostly it has been to friends and family and sometimes I wonder if they're just smiling and nodding and patting my head when it comes to writing. I know they aren't of course, because I trust them, but also because of all of the reaction I've been getting to my work as it begins to spread. I was at my friend Etienne's house and I had an entire dinner table rapt with my writing ideas. Rapt may not be the best word, but I'm marketing myself here. Entralled! Heh. I pitched to them some of my work that I've done and yes, even some work I haven't even started. They seemed to like my ideas and they all said they'd read them. That's always a nice feeling. Now I actually have to write them.

Speaking of Etienne, there's another promise that I've made, but one I fully intend to keep. Etienne is an artist and a fantastic one at that. And he's a fan of me and I'm a fan of him and we totally want to work together on something. And I'm sure we will soon. I've been telling him my dreams, which isn't so much a promise as it is a goal I don't know how to obtain right at the moment. I told him how I want to write comics and make short films of my work and he thought it would be an awesome idea. I completely agree with him too. As soon as I can figure out how to do it, I will make it a reality. Oops, a promise. Well, it's a dream.

As for promises, I'm still waiting on my editors to get back to me so I can finally complete A Glimpse Through The Curtains. It's practically clean up time for the majority of them, nothing major anymore. But it still needs to be done. I still need to figure out the plan for how I'm going to distribute them. I'll be looking into magazines soon, but honestly, I still want to self publish.

Anyway, that's enough for me now. It's a result to get a blog post out and now hopefully more will be on the way as I begin to write Secretary more. Keep you posted.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
20110328

No comments:

Post a Comment