Monday, December 20, 2010

The Journal of Psycho Duck, Freelance Chosen One. Part 1

(The Journal of Psycho Duck, Freelance Chosen One is a series of short fictional logs about my character Psycho Duck and his adventures in the land of Fairy Tales. I've often wondered how it would be different if instead of a small child with a heart of gold, the entity calling for a hero in the fairy tale world had pulled in a person like Psycho Duck. The idea grew from there. I've never finished the complete story, but I have completed several archs of the story. Here are a few of them and maybe I shall complete more.

Enjoy
Eric Rawlinson
The Dragon Bard
20101220)


Hello! Hello! Testing! My name is Psycho Duck! I am a Fish! Hehehehe. Ah, *clears throat* guess I should make this official.

Log 1
I have decided to keep a journal of my adventures, for a couple of reasons. One, it's one of the cool things my cellphone does now, and I love to screw around with new features. Two, keeping a journal is a good way to ground your thoughts. Or at least write them down in case you forget them.

Hmm, so I guess I should explain what's going on. As a Freelance Chosen One, I am often called to some bizzare places for even more bizarre tasks. Here is no exception. I have been transported to the land where Fairy Tales exist. The one responsible for my predicament is a dragon by the name of Bookwyrm. I arrived in his house where he explained the whole thing to me at great length with a lot of big words. I could fill this journal with all the stuff he told me, so I'll just stick to the basics. Apparently the fairy tales have become 'mixed-up'. Err, I'm not sure if mixed up is the right the word. It's not like Beauty is marrying Prince Charming and Cinderella's cleaning up a pig's stick houses. More like the characters have been lead astray, an event hasn't taken place, or certain ideas have not been thought to allow the fairy tales to take their usual course. Or something like that. He was quite weird about it.

He told me that my job is to set the world straight, though he didn't tell me why the world wasn't straight or how to straighten it. When I asked him about this, all he said was to 'use my judgement' and 'I would know what to do when the time comes'. Worst. Job description. Ever. I guess he didn't read the part in my resume where it explains how my 'use of judgement' got me the name Psycho Duck, but I decided not to argue this.

He did give me some cool things to help me out on my journey. He took my cellphone from me, ripped out the insides and before I could complain, he popped in a shining blue crystal and then, it became sexy! I mean, this thing has everything you want and nothing you don't want. It has this log feature, GPS, voice recorder, video camera and text messaging system. And it's all free! And I get great reception. Granted, I don't have anyone to call, but who cares. Reception.

He told me was that it would text me 'Once upon a time' when I would start helping with a story and text me 'and they lived happily ever after' when it was over. I sure hope to god he'll also send the name of the story, or else this is going to be confusing.

He also gave me the metablade, which is pretty neat. I love the concept. The metablade is short for metaphor blade, meaning it was not exactly a sword or an
axe. It could be either and both. It becomes the weapon that the situation calls for. For the moment, it's slung over my shoulder as an axe, where it will stay until it is needed.

So here I am, off on a new adventure. I've already walked five miles and I see a forest in the distance. Everything is good so far. But even though he thinks I didn't hear him, I would have to agree with the words that Bookwyrm spoke as I walked away; God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment