Sunday, December 19, 2010

Why I Write

Sometimes I come up with ideas that end up inspiring other ideas. A couple of days ago, I was walking home in the snow, not necessarily thinking about blog writing when I thought it would be interesting to write a blog entry about how I write. And I thought it was a great idea. In many ways, I still do. But as my character says in my latest short story, that's not the right question. And of course, the best question, the hardest question and the most important question is WHY do I write? I may still discuss one day the way that I write, my philosophies and my advice, but for now the meaning and the reasons.

I remember talking to my good friend and mentor Etienne over Facebook chat about this. He and I would have discussions that would last for hours on all subjects relating to art, passion and the meaning of the universe. So basically we will talk about anything and everything. I was having problems with my short story that I've been working on for eight months, and I asked him, sarcastically, why do we do it? Why do we torture ourselves to create something? Why do we break our spirits to try to make something perfect? I don't remember exactly how I said it and I don't remember exactly how we answered it. But knowing my friend, he would have smiled, because these are the questions he lives and breathes for and he would answer with such music to my ears, about inspiration and perspective. We create because we are inspired. Through creation we better understand ourselves and the world around us. We want to communicate our ideas to others.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what he said, but as Etienne would probably say, it was what was inspired to written.

Why do I write? I have written all of my life, whether it be in my head with little adventures for myself, or wax crayon drawings depicting a story or in half a GB worth of documents on my hard drive. And in all of that time, I've rarely asked myself why I do it. I've always done it. I probably always will. But why?

Well, I like it. I like the little stories runnning through my head. I like the challenge of writing it all down on a piece of paper. I even like the problem solving that is editing. I love creating new characters and adding aspects to them until they become almost memories of friends rather than figments of my imagination. And, secretly, I like to tell other people what I think. Okay, maybe not so secretly. I like, or at least strive to, write things to make people think, imagine and dream. Maybe even inspire them. That's the natural flow of inspiration. An idea must touch another's mind.

So why do I write? I am inspired to write. It helps me to understand how my mind works and thinks. And I enjoy reading what I write. And I love it when someone else enjoys what I've written too. The thing I like most about writing is when someone else has read my work and tells me that the story I've worked on for so long is great. It makes me feel so good about myself.

So I'm not sure if I've answered the question. Maybe some day I'll take another crack at it. Who knows.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
The Dragon Bard
20101219

No comments:

Post a Comment