Friday, December 17, 2010

Rating system

Greetings everyone! One of the things I would like to do with this blog is reviews. I've already written many reviews in the past, albeit in my head, but I want to start writing some of them down and share some of them with my followers. It also helps to write down your thoughts so they're not always bouncing around in your head, like this this little rant right now. I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about writing this explanation before, but now that I've written it down, I am certain I will not think about it as often.

To start, like most reviewers, I have a rating system. My system is a 5 star system. I use this for things like books, movies, plays and restaurants. Well, to a lesser extent restaurants and more books and movies. And I wanted to explain how my system work in my head and I think the best way is to go over what I mean when I give something 4 stars as opposed to 3 or 5. So without further ramblings, let's begin.



5 stars = Amazing
This is the rating I give to my favorite books and movies, the ones that I can enjoy again and again multiple times, even more than once during the day. Examples = Fifth Element, Waking Life,

4 Stars = Good Movie
This is a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. Though I wouldn't say I loved it, I would say that I enjoyed it. I might even buy the DVD and would gladly sit through it again, but no as often as a 5 star movie.

3 Star = Okay Movie or Honorary So Good It's Bad
I play around with three stars out of five a lot, as I give this to three different kinds of movies. The first is the okay movie. This movie was just okay. It was nothing spectacular and I probably wouldn't say I regret watching it. But I probably wouldn't watch it again. Examples = Despicable Me, Pumpkin
The second kind is the movie I didn't get. There are movies out there whose target audience just wasn't me. They're good movies, and I can argue that there is nothing wrong with them as a movie. But I just didn't enjoy the movie because of the themes or the aspects that weren't targeted with me in mind. Examples = Muhulland Drive, Ghost Dog The Way of the Samuri
The third kind is the So Bad It's Good Movie. These are movies I LOVE but they're bad. These are movies I'm not sure I could recommend to anyone else, because they are obviously bad movies. But they're very enjoyable for me, so I give them 3 stars and I put them on my DVD shelf. Examples = Shoot 'Em Up, The Spirit

2 Stars = Needs Improvement
This is a movie that SHOULD have been good. In fact, I would go as far as to say there was no excuse for this movie to be bad. Whether it's an okay movie with one or two flaws keeping it from greatness or a bad movie that just should have been good. Examples = TRON (good acting and special effects, needs work on writing) Star Trek Generations (Why did you have to kill the Picard family!), Star Wars Revenge of the Sith (Come on George, get off the director chair)

1 Star = Bad Movie
These movies are just bad. They may have one or two redeemable parts, but they're just bad. Sometimes they're so bad, they just make you feel terrible watching them.
Example = Blood The Last Vampire (live action), Batman and Robin, Dumb and Dumber

0 stars = Offensive Movie
There are some movies that are painful to watch and then there are movies that make you sick while watching them and make you feel stupid that they exist. I've seen some of them.
Example = Bloodrayne, Epic Movie, Wanted

Well, there's my rant and there's my system. This is sort of the way I think. I'll touch it up as I go, but hopefully this will work.

Thank you for your consideration and enjoy the rest of your day.
Peace and blessings
The Dragon Bard

No comments:

Post a Comment