Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Formula

In the age of Hollywood, it seems that there is a lack of originality in mainstream stories. Some people have often wondered why we cannot break away from this slump of the same material repackaged over and over and why we keep going to them over and over again. Some would say that it is because there is nothing new, but they're only slightly correct. Some would say it is easier and cheaper to stick to what already sells, and of course this is completely correct, but this I'm beginning to realize is only part of the problem. I've discovered an even larger problem, that not only strikes at movies, but almost all works of fiction including books, comics, video games, TV shows and probably other mediums I'm failing to remember. I want to discuss this idea that I have on the concept I call The Formula.

In our society, we have regulated our stories, not only in content, but how long our stories can be. Our movies are two hours long, our comics fit into four issue volumes, our TV shows are between half and hour to an hour at twenty four episodes a season and songs between 3 to 5 minutes. The problem with this is that it already puts a huge restriction on writers. Instead of asking 'what kind of a story do we want to tell?' the first question becomes, 'what kind of a story can we tell with the time that we have?' Hence the formula comes into play. Since we've already restricted the time, it becomes much easier for us to become comfortable with the formulas which fit those restraints.

This is why I start these things as thoughts rather than essays. I was talking to Etienne about this and I asked him if he felt that the mainstream was restrained. He gave me some things to think about. He told me that it is true that art has so much potential to be compromised and that artist must remain true to the art. I wonder how often it's true, not for the art, but for the audience as well. How are we compromised by this formula enforced upon us? Do we reject something because we are so unfamiliar with it? Because it's a little longer or shorter, do we pass it by because we judge its worth on length or simply on convience in this world.

I'm not sure where I'm going with it. But it is my thought and I wished to share it with all of you.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
20110102

No comments:

Post a Comment