Sunday, January 30, 2011

My First Rejection

So, I have received my first rejection as a writer. I had posted a short story for a contest, the Broken Pencil's Indie Writers Death Match. I had a short story kicking around that fit the very vague criteria and decided to enter it on a whim. I polished it up and sent it off with twenty dollars into the abyss. And a month later, I get a form letter without my name on it, telling me I was rejected. I feel loved and appreciated. I really do.

In seriousness, I was expecting rejection over this one. To be honest, I should have looked over the criteria more for this contest and, more importantly, the past winners. The past winners of this contest and my writing style greatly clash, especially in themes. I was most assuredly, probably not going to win. Still, rejection hurts. Oh well.

I look at it this way. I have a polished short story in my arsenal now, I have a rejection under my belt and more than three people who said they've liked my work. I have fans who adore me, I have critics who support me and I have editors who wish I took more English in high school but generally like my work. I'm kidding, I love you guys.

Also, I get to publish Monster of the Toy House in my anthology A Glimpse Through The Curtains now without having to worry about legal rights. Glimpse Through The Curtains? We'll talk more about that later.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
20110130

No comments:

Post a Comment