Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chapter 7: Holy Crap!

I appear to have a pacing issue, seeing as Chapter 7's first draft is bigger than the first three chapters combined! Oh well, nothing to really worry about. I expected that parts of this book would be easier to write than others and Chapter 7 and maybe 8 are probably going to be the easiest to write. As I go on to later chapters, I find I'm getting the hang of writing as well, and everything doesn't feel so forced, unless I feel bored with a certain section, then it feels nothing but forced.

There are a lot of reasons besides that that allow Chapter 7 to be so long. One of them is that this chapter is where I introduce the twist in the story. Not really a surprise twist, but a twist for the main character. It's also the part of the book I have the most notes for. Seeing as it is one of the most important parts of the book, this isn't a surprise either. Also, this chapter might even become longer thanks to a little device I'm using. The main character is going to be reading a book and sections of the book are going to be present in the text. The book that the main character reads is in fact parts of a book that I was going to write but lost interest in it. Recycling old material is great!

Okay, I'm cheating, but its a good cheat and it works well for the book itself. Besides, if this book gets popular I could finish that book and publish it as well, right? Sigh... You're right.

Chapter 8 is going to be easy as well I think, but for a completely different reason. Chapter 8 is the one I've conceptualize most recently. It's actually a fairly new addition and I'm literally wondering why I never thought of doing this before. It just makes so much sense. It emphasizes what happens in Chapter 7 and maybe even a little bit in chapter 2, and I want the character to break herself. Oops, I revealed something of the book. The main character is a female woman. Roberts rules of writing state that you shouldn't reveal to much of your book, cause the more you talk about it, the less likely you'll write it. At this point, I don't have to much to worry about. About five or six of my closest friends know the plot, most of you being my followers, and one of you has a couple of chapters. But not to jinx it at this point, I'll try to be mysterious as possible. I get a kick out of it...

Anyway, chapter 8 will probably be written tomorrow or later tonight, depending on how I feel. Right now, I'm hungry. So, until later.

Peace and blessings
Eric Rawlinson
20110217

1 comment: